Thursday, July 16, 2009

Under a Month

Orientation for law school starts Aug 12. I am not quite at peace about it, but I am feeling pretty good. I am trying to really enjoy the calm before the storm. It is hard to believe my time as a stay-at-home dad is almost over. I sat out on the deck with Kiley a couple of nights ago listening to the crickets while Kim tucked Robyn in. We talked about how much fun we have had this summer and I was trying to prepare her a little for when school starts for both of us, and how things would change a little bit. I was working on getting her excited about her school starting and I think she is more excited about just being around other kids her age, and not her little sister all the time. I think my biggest fear about law school, especially after this summer and knowing my tendency to be an extremist at whatever I do, is that I will balance life and not let these next three years of their lives slip away and not even realize it.

On a related note, our annual trip to Florida is next week. We leave Monday for a week in Seagrove, which is just outside Destin on 30-A. We usually go with Kim's family, but his year they are not going with us, just us and the sitter we are taking along so we can go out a couple of nights. We had considered not going this year but we decided it might be our last real vacation for the next few years. As matter of fact I was talking to my neighbor, who is a partner at the Rose Firm here in little Rock about it a couple of weeks ago. I was kind of probing him for information, they had just gotten back from vacation and I was telling him I was excited about our upcoming vacation, but that I was afraid it would be our last one for the next three years, with school and clerkships and all. I was really expecting him to say something like, don't worry you will find time to get away, or I am sure you can work in a vacation, but his response was not near as positive as I had hoped. He said, "Don't worry, if Kim is anything like my wife, they won't have any problem going on vacation without you." I am really going to soak up my vacation next week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, man, what that lawyer from the RLF said was so wrong. On so many levels. And it doesn't have to be like that if you don't let it. That is all.