Monday, July 20, 2020

Week One, Kind of Good, Kind of Bad


How disappointed can one reasonably be with losing three pounds? That is how disappointed I am today. Yes, I am happy I lost some weight, but I feel like my effort was greater than three pounds worth of reward received.

I do appreciate the notes and texts of encouragement over the week, the great suggestion for a really cool food tracker, offers to join workouts, and general support. It is going to take a lot to reach my goal by 12/20/2020 and I know my greatest weakness is the ability to justify not missing out on something (usually an event, or get together) that usually involves food that I should limit or try to avoid.

I pulled a book out this weekend that I read way back in 2006 called, My Big Fat Greek Diet. It is the story a physician who weighed in at 467 pounds and decided to do something about it. He quit his job, sold his house, and spent the entire summer crisscrossing the country to see baseball in every MLB ballpark while only drinking protein shakes. It worked for him. It reminded me that sometimes big change is easier than incremental change and that if he was able make it on liquid alone for almost 9 months, I should be able to kick it up a notch on the will power.

I went for a couple of walks last week but missed my goal of exercising three times for 30 minutes. I ate really well early in the week and eliminated alcohol early in the week, but alas, the weekend came and I was able to justify eating and drinking too much. I was on track to lose at least 6 pounds and had at one point during the week but the week did not end well.
Here is to getting on track and staying there this week.

No comments: