Monday, July 13, 2020

12/20/2020 Is Coming.....and I Need a Little Help.


This blog has not seen any action in a long, long time. Some of these older posts are hard to read. I evidently did not put a high value on proofreading. That said, I feel the need to utilize it again for two reasons. One, it chronicles the most success I have ever had at getting healthy, and two, I made a commitment back on December 20, 2019 to be much healthier by December 20, 2020. I have failed miserably on my own to this point and thought the accountability of the blog might help get my rear in gear.

I have to be honest with you. Sometimes I like being bigger than most people. I have been rewarded for it at times. The first time I remember was when I had my regional television debut on the Bozo Show, live from the KAIT 8 studios in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I was selected to play the “Pop the Balloon” game. I was pitted against a scrawny little kid. We had to run to get a balloon, bring it back and pop it. We needed to do this three times to win. Sure, he beat me to the balloon, but when he got it back to the bench, he kept bouncing off the balloon as he attempted to sit on it to pop it. This was no problem for me. I popped those three balloons before he popped one and walked away with an official Bozo Show backpack. The big guy wins! In high school, it was beneficial on the football field, I was hard to move and I could knock people over. As an adult, I can usually drink more than anyone I go out with and never get hungover. Being large has its advantages.

I have not been invited to a balloon popping contest in awhile and now I would get charged with assault for running at people to knock them over, and my liver doesn’t really care how big I am, it is the same size as yours and needs a break. Living large has really lost its advantages. It even has disadvantages, like, getting out of breath walking upstairs, not looking good in skinny jeans, and fear that I may die of a heart attack when I go to bed to name a few. That is why I am committing to you (my accountability partner) that I am going to get much healthier than I am currently by 12/20/2020. I believe I can lose an average of 10 pounds a month between now and then. I will weigh each week and let you know how I do. You can ask me when you see me or message me and ask how it is going. I am committing to at least 30 minutes of exercise at least three times a week, it may go up, but I am starting small. You can ask me about that as well.

You may be thinking, I really don’t want to be your accountability partner here, I understand that, you could just be here for my political insight and witty banter. That is cool, but I have found, especially through this pandemic, that I do best in community. I want to share my goal with you and know that some weeks will be good news and we can celebrate together and some weeks may not be as good and I need to let you know that as well. This is not a highlight reel; this is a journey and I am inviting you to come along.

No comments: