Monday, August 20, 2007

Running and Eating

This weekend brought my longest run yet. I ran 16 miles Saturday morning and it went really well. I like getting ready the night before to lay out my water stops and some GU or Power Beans to help with the energy over the long workout. Long runs are going to be a little tougher for the next couple of weeks becasue of our travel schedule, but I can tell the marathon is getting closer. The longest run is only 20 miles on the training program, I guess Hal Higdon figures that if I can run 20 I can run 26.2. The problem with all this training is that I am not really losing any weight. I feel like I need to eat a lot the day before I run for energy and then I am HUNGERY all day after the long run and I eat a lot. I don't think I am getting the benefit of weight loss from running like I should. I will continue to try and balance this out, but in the meantime I am getting really excited about Chicago and being able to say I finished a marathon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think at some point you hit a "law of diminishing returns" with running. It's almost like your body adjusts to the exercise and you stop seeing the same weight loss benefits. I've experienced the same before.

Jenniferlyn said...

I have the same nutritional concerns!

However I stopped being hungry after runs, nd now I hve to force myself to et replenshing something.

I cannot wait for your Chicago race report!!!!!!!!