Thursday, July 05, 2007

Biggest Weakness

I feel really good about many of the things I have conquered on my weight loss journey. 1) I can go out and eat and not get the best thing on the menu and "experiance" great food everytime out. I can eat just a salad or veggies or shake. 2)I can eat at home with Kim and the family and eat one of my meals or shakes while they eat Pizza. 3) I can fit working out into almost any day and have done pretty well and not making excuses. 4) I don't feel the need to get a mocha frappacino and cheese cake or brownie everytime I go the bookstore or Starbucks.

I say all this to say I know no matter how far I have come I still have one really big weakness. I can't do the party thing and control myself right now. Yesterday I pumped myself up and ate energy bars and drank a lot of water and was going to do real well at the 4th cookout at my house, but when all the food was laid out and I started cooking on the grill I might as well had been the "old Brad" as my father puts it sometimes. I am not sure how I am going to combat this. I am looking at the bright side of things and realize that parties don't come everyday. Parties were not a big deal in the decesion free part of the program becasue everyone knew and expected me not to eat, but now they know I can have anything I want so there is no feeling that I shuld not eat anything. My friend Jason did a great job yesterday and brought his food because he can only eat certain foods.

With freedom comes great responsability, I have not learned to be very responsible with mine yet.

I had lost some weight till yesterday and my workouts are going very well, so I am not all down and depressed and realize that I am at a much better place than I was last year at this time, but I want to be able to feel free and enjoy the "party" and still eat well. Sadly my idea of a good party is how good the food and drink is, I am not sure how to overcome this paradigm.

I am just rambling today, thanks for listening.

4 comments:

Steve said...

dude...don't beat yourself up. But, I totally understand where your coming from. This Saturday 7/7/07 I am having my daughters high school graduation party. My wife has been crazy busy with work and stuff so I planned the menu. We are having Ritini noodles w/meatballs, chik wings etc....all the party food that tastes great but will be bad. My plan of attack, is have a bite full of everything, but load my plate with the fresh fruit and fresh veggies I am laying out. And also carry a water bottle to make sure that I "fill" myself up.

You have been doing great and you continue to inspire me!

What is your....I hate to say it..."diet plan"? I have ben following Weight Watchers but keeping an eye on the cal and fat and carb counts. I am down 4lbs this week!!

Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigmike600 said...

First time to your blog Brad. My wife and I did the medically supervised "shake" diet too. She lost almost 200 pounds and I lost about 140. We have kept the weight off for over a year. We are newbie triathletes as well. We exercise very regularly and try to watch what we eat. Lots of fruits and veggies are key. You said it well in your blog when you said what "The Old Brad" would do. You just have to be careful and it is o.k. once and a while to eat something "bad" just can't be every day or every week. Limit yourself to once a month and maybe just one meal that day and do an extra run or swim that week to make up for it. You have done a great job. Good Luck in the future and I will continue to follow your journey.

Anonymous said...

Brad,
I can totally relate to the dilemma of "social eating"...In my experience, an occasional splurge won't hurt you in the long run as long as you get right back on that horse the next day...Sometimes, a big meal can help to stimulate my metabolism and get me through a plateau...But like you said, you're way better-off than a year ago, so you should be proud and enjoy to parties once in a while.
Dave Shumpert

Jenniferlyn said...

Seriously I echo this sentiment in my own life. I recently lost 20lbs (since 4/1/07) and have another 40-50 to go. That is a huge thing for me, but I am doing what I need to do to get there... i.e. smart training and living better.

I still splurge on that darn brownie at Starbucks (my weakness is chocolate/sweets/all around bad stuff) and I beat myself up all the time.

I was a vegetarian until I felt like the outcast all the time. So I started to eat meat again. I have comprimised myself so much in theis quest, that I finally took stock of who I am, what I feel, and now am starting to enjoy making better choices.

I am in Mexico this week for work - and in mexico there is no such thing as non-fattening foods. So far so good.

I have learned to roll with the punches, but to not let myself get too far off track. I am here for a lifestyle change, not a fad diet. I need to loose the weight not only to feel better abou tmyself, but to feel better being myself. Running is hard beng an athena. I will always be an athena, but I need to start training like I am not.

I love your blog. Seriously. You are doing such AMAZING things! Look at who you were a few years ago! Did you ever think that the you of 2005 woul dbe a triathlete? A marathon runner? A fitness man? I never thought that I would be either. And I think that that is part of the fun - shaking up the box a little to see what happens.

Man I wish you all the best, and I will be here reading along on your journey!

Congratulations on ALL that you have done. And all that you are going to do!