Thursday, April 24, 2008

Down 2

It's not 8, but losing two pounds this week does not disappoint me. I ate poorly last weekend and did not get in near the exercise that I had hoped, so I was hoping to just not gain. I was pleasantly surprised to be down.

On another note, I saw a friend today at a store who complimented me on "how skinny" I am. Not that I mind being encouraged, I like it as matter of fact, but in my mind my first response was "if you only knew". To her I had lost all this weight, run a couple of marathons and a couple triathlons and was doing exactly what I needed to do. But from my perspective I am not working out hardly at all, cheat much more than I used to, and feel like not only I could fall of the wagon, but that wagon would then fall on top of me. I don't see her often and from her perspective I had this weight thing beat. A similar conversation happened this morning between Kim and her mom, it was not about weight, but about relationship. She told Kim how wonderful she thinks our marriage is how, in her words "have it all together" That has really stuck with me today. Let be me the first to tell you, Kim and I have a wonderful marriage, but are far from having "it all together" but like my friend in the store who I don't see often and her mom who lives in Chattanooga, the perception can be better than reality.

I think I have thought that at some point I would have it all together on this health and weight thing, that I would not have to go to meetings or not worry about pigging out and starting a downward spiral of gaining weight, but that is not reality. I think reality is no one ever has anything "all together" we are all on a journey and for some it's weight for others it something different, and to aspire to "having it all together" someday is setting yourself up for failure. I hope I can just enjoy the journey and do better tomorrow than I did today.

5 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

You loosing 2 this week doesn't disappoint me either. It means I have a better chance of catching up. Really, good job! But, I am still trying to beat you :)

Anonymous said...

One day at a atime, 'cuz.
I'm in no position to give relationship or dieting advise, but I can tell that you really care, and that's the most important thing...Everything else will work out right in the end...You gotta have faith!
Dave Shumpert

Melissa said...

I've been writing cheers on Debbie's blog, so I thought I would write you some too.

Brad, Brad, You've lost so much weight
Dwell on that and you'll feel great

If you fall get up again
I know you can do it lift up your chin.

Debbie's doing great, but you are too
I see a cd in your future yes I do!!

GOOOOooooooo Brad!!!

Melissa said...

You're down two pounds what can I say?
You had a really good weigh in day.

I know you've been down on yourself of late, but take those compliments from others cause your doing great!!

GOOOOOOooooooooooo Brad!!

Alysha said...

That's a really interesting way of looking at it -- it's a constant journey that we are always traveling towards. I like the way you put it.