Monday, December 05, 2005

Finished 5K in 37:50!!!

Kim and Greg and I crossed the finish line of the Grizzley House 5K all together and in great shape and spirits. We finished in the top of half of the field with little over 12 minute mile pace. I am very excited that I am now officially a "runner" and look forward to continuing weight loss and the next big event, which looks to be the Nashville 1/2 marathon on April 29. I can't expalin the feeling of accomplishment that came with crossing the finish line. This setting a goal thing and seeing it through it very fulfilling and just makes for a great weekend.

After the race Kim and Greg and I went to Cafe Bon Ton one of the oldest little places in Memphis where Elvis used to hang out and had breakfast, then when went back and took showers in the locker rooms at Autozone Park. The guys showered in the Redbirds locker room and the girls in the visitors. As I went in the first finishers from the 1/2 were begening to come in, all of whick in great shape and just got finished averaging 5 - 6 min miles for 13.2 miles. I was in the shower with three of them, and they were looking at me like I was crazy. Finally I realized they thought this big fat guy just finised the race in the same time they did, one even asked ,"Did you have a pretty good race?" I know I could have told him I ran the 5K and just took awhile getting to the shower, but I took the ball and ran with it and told them it was a grea race for me juat a few seconds off my personal best!! I think they left thinking some 300 pound guy ran the same race they did in the same time. Pretty funny. I can't wait till Nashville and all the fun in between this racing stuff is kind of fun!

2 comments:

Greg Brooks said...

I'm going to put a link to this blog on my blog, livingwithfaith.blogspot.com. Millions will see it!

Nashville 2006!!!!

Fajita said...

Shump, you are not only linked to my homefront site, you are linked ot my 40 days of fat site.