Sunday, April 29, 2007

It was AWESOME

I got an email from a director with Fox Sports South last week that told me they had read some of my story of weight loss and stuff I had given the Country Music 1/2 marathon. He asked if I could come by there room at the expo center and do some on camera interviews about it to be used in a telecast of the run on Comcast Sports and Fox Sports South in about two weeks. It was really cool, it took about 5 minutes and I just answered some questions, they asked some pretty good questions. The best one was, "how could someone else be motivated or learn from your experiance?" I had to think on that one for a while.

Then at the race expo I talked with John "the penguin" Bingham, a writer for Runner's World and author of a book that I had read a couple of years ago called "The Courage to Start" We had talked last year before the race and he said he remebered me, but I am sure he says that to everyone. Anyway we talked a little about my weight loss and running and he encouraged me to share my story with as many people as possible, because that is the obligation of someone who's life has been changed that much. I thought about what he said, and I guess I am kinda doing that with the blog.

On Yeah, I ran in Nashville too! I took 51 minutes off my time from last year going from 3:09 to 2:18!! I averaged 10:36 a mile. A whole 12 minutes better than my goal of 2:30 or under. I was very very pleased with the outcome. Greg ran the first 9 miles with me and Kim ran the last bit with me. I am so blessed to have such supportive friends and family.

This week I will be preparing for the triathlon on Saturday at Craighead Forest. I just hope I don't drown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shump! With that much publicity you might have hire an agent before Chicago. You ought to try condensing the story into an article and submitting it to Runner's World. They have a section for reader's stories . . .

Debbie Cook said...

You're already a celebrity in Jonesboro, now you may become one world wide - COOL!!! Congrats on your times and good luck on the Tri.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! But you already know that. You have come a long way and I appreciate the effort you have put forth to overcome what I know is the hardest struggle of your life! I love you--me:)