Monday, March 26, 2007

Big Weekend

What I am about to tell you would have sounded impossible to me just 6 months ago.

On Saturday morning I got up and met some friends downtown at a coffee shop with the owner of the local bike shop and some people that I just met Saturday in all there were about 20 of us that went out for a bike ride. I thought we were going for about 20 miles and ended up going about 40 MILES! What a way to start the day, it was pretty awsome and something that I would have been imtimitated to even think about trying to do just a few months ago. One of the people we rode with was a friend I had not seen in a long time from high school, I shook his and hand and he said "What happened Shump? Now it looks like shrunk Shump" I really hope that does not catch on, but the thought was nice. On Sunday afternoon I had my long run in preperation for the 1/2 marathon coming up in April. I ran 7 MILES on Sunday afternoon. It was a little hot and windy, but I made it through and actually felt pretty good. I slept very very well last night.

I felt more alive and satisfied all weekend and I have to believe that it is partly because of the activity and the hanging out with some like minded people. Airestotle said that true happieness is not contentment, but flourishing. No one is more content than a baby, but who wants to be a baby their whole life. He said that true happieness happens when the spiritual, physical, and mental aspects of our lives are flourishing. I have to belive that the physical part is really big for me, I just enjoyed the weekend more, little things like flying a kite with Kim and the girls seemed more exciting, what some would consider mundane did not seem mundane and I have the mindset that is achieved through a healthy lifestlye helps bleed over into other aspects of life. Or maybe it was that funny smelling greenish smoke we rode through coming out of a house on North Main, whatever the case it was a good weekend.

2 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

Wow! I think I may sleep better just reading about all the exercise you have been getting.
Really - You are doing awesome. I am so impressed. It is inspiring to see you enjoying your life so much more now.

Anonymous said...

Brad,

Just happened to come across your page while reading some of Russ Adcox's material on his blog. I was telling Candace this past Sunday that you had lost a lot of weight and was wondering how you were able to do so. I followed and read about the program, who knows, perhaps when I have some extra money I will give it a try. Congratulations on the loss.

chrisclouse.wordpress.com